Monday, January 08, 2007

Fearlessness

Fearlessness is idiocy, and so it is one of the personality traits that I'm most conflicted about. I have some reckless friends. They get people pregnant, they get pregnant, they drive horribly, drink too much, too often, wage hot wars against office colleagues and occassionally punch people. I envy them because I do none of these things. I wage simmering cold wars at work, never fuck without birth control. I drink moderately and am an impeccable driver with a staggeringly clean record. I have not struck another man in at least five years. I have never hit a woman. My innate caution and cowardice bores and comforts me.

Anyway, this is all a preamble for thinking about Norman Mailer, who is really bat-shit crazy, and highly entertaining.

No comments: